Important Parent Information: Fall 2017 Goal Setting Conferences
September 26, 2017
Dear Parents and Guardians,
We strive to create the best possible conditions for learning, and an important element is a balanced approach to student goal setting conferences. Our purpose for goal setting is to focus our discussions on all aspects of a student’s learning and to provide the opportunity for parents and students to continue building a relationship with the teacher.
This fall, students have dedicated time to discovering their strengths and the areas for growth that they would like to focus on throughout this year. Our students and staff look forward to sharing this information with you. Parents and Guardians play an important role in the student goal setting conference since they are key supporters of student success.
In preparation for your upcoming conference, we ask that you take a few moments to think about your child as a learner this year and reflect on the questions below so you can share that information with the teacher during the conference.
1. What do you see as your child’s greatest strength?
2. What does your child like about school?
3. What are your child’s challenges in school?
4. What would a successful school year look like for your child?
We look forward to seeing you on October 4 or 5, 2017, for Student Goal Setting Conferences and share the following additional details:
- There is no student attendance on October 5 or 6, 2017, due to the conference schedule, and there is no student attendance on October 9, 2017, due to the Columbus Day holiday.
- At the elementary schools, each family has been pre-scheduled for an appointment with the teacher.
- At the junior high schools, the format is mainly drop-in, although pre-scheduled appointments may have been made in some cases.
- All teaching staff will be in the schools during evening hours, but some teaching specialists will be attending a professional development session from 12:00-4:00 PM on Thursday, October 5, 2017.